Welcome to 1st Grade in Mrs. Wilmot's Class!
Important Upcoming Dates:
Friday, February 10th: Valentine's Day Party: 2:00-3:00
Monday, February 13th: Project TEAM Day: WEAR PURPLE
Monday, February 20th, President's Day: NO SCHOOL
Tuesday, February 21st: 2 HOUR DELAY FOR STUDENTS
Thursday, February 23rd: Domino's Night
Looking for book suggestions for your reader? Check out the "Booklist" tab for some recommendations!
*A special note about clothing in case of inclement weather: If students are wearing snow boots or bringing them for recess, please send a different pair of shoes for them to wear during the school day.
Not finding what you're looking for? Check out the "Classroom News" page or contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-762-1191 ext. 1600.
A Little About Me
My name is Katie Wilmot. I grew up in the Quincy area and as a child attended Mowrey! It has been a great experience working at the school where I developed a love for learning! I live in the Waynesboro area with my husband, our puppy, and our goldfish. This year will be my third year teaching first grade at Mowrey. Prior, I worked at Fairview Elementary in kindergarten as a long-term substitute. It is an honor to teach all of your children this year and I am glad to be a part of the team in growing your children!
Throughout this school year, you may have questions or concerns. Feel free to contact me via email or phone. My email is email@example.com. You can call 717-762-1191, select Mowrey Elementary, and leave a message with Mrs. Flohr.
Soon we will be sending homework home with your children. Math Home Links will be sent home and need to be completed each night. These should take no more than 15 minutes to complete. Please sit with your child and help him/her, but remember that is your child who needs to be doing the work.
You will also see 100 Book Challenge books in the homework folder. These books should be books that your child can read independently, but we ask that you still listen to them read and help them if they struggle. After your child has read the two books each night, please initial the behavior calendar for that day so I know that he or she has read. The reading should take no more than 15 minutes.
Your child will bring home a homework folder every night. Please check the folder every night for any important papers that may have been sent home that day.
If your child is buying lunch at school, please send money in an envelope with his or her name and lunch number (student ID number). Someone will be around every Monday to collect the lunch money. Should you need any of the official envelopes, please send a note with your child and I will send some home.
*For weeks that we do not have school on Monday, the envelopes will be collected the next day that we do have school.
9:00-9:30 Shared Reading/Interactive Reading
9:30-10:30 Guided Reading/Daily 5
12:30-1:00 Mowrey Movers
2:50-3:20 Content/Word Work
Special: This year we have two "teams" for special. It is important to note that your child may follow a different schedule than some other peers, so your child must know what team he/she is on.
TEAM 1 Special Schedule:
Day 1 Music
Day 2 Physical Education
Day 3 Library
Day 4 Art
TEAM 2 Special Schedule:
Day 1 Library
Day 2 Music
Day 3 Art
Day 4 Physical Education
*Bible Release is every Thursday at 2:15.
A FRIENDLY REMINDER...
Following is the district dress code for students. I have had some parents interested in a reminder of the dress code, so I am attaching it here for you all!
Although students exhibit different styles of clothing, it is important that our dress reflects good taste and is appropriate for school. The clothing of the student shall not be disruptive, cause unnecessary comments, or bring undue attention to the wearer. If a staff member feels a student’s apparel is distracting to the educational process, the student will be sent to an administrator who will make the final judgment. If a student is dressed in an unacceptable manner, as determined by the administration, the student may be asked to go home to change. Parental notification will occur, if necessary, to obtain a change of clothing and appropriate discipline will be administered should the dress code violation persist.
The following are prohibited:
· Wearing of bandanas and headbands, kerchiefs around the neck, sunglasses
· Tops which expose shoulders, cleavage, midriff, or waist/belly button/stomach area
· Tank tops, spaghetti straps (tops and dresses), see-through clothing, tube tops, halter tops
· Wearing of outerwear/outdoor clothing during the school day
· Clothing of any kind with a suggestive connotation, message or design, which may include obscenities, profanity, tobacco, drugs and alcohol (bar or restaurant), weapons, sexual innuendos, racial messages, symbols associated with hate groups or a message which intends to harass, threaten or intimidate another student
· Attention-getting clothes or jewelry including but not limited to decorative chains, wallet or pocket chains, spike collars or bracelets, jewelry with spiked, sharp, or protruding parts, which can inflict damage
· Cut-offs or holes of any kind in pants, jeans, skirts, or shorts
· Bottoms which expose skin or undergarments or wearing oversize/draping baggy style pants to create a “sag” look (All bottoms must be worn at the waist. The waist is defined as the area between the bottom of the rib cage and top of the hip bone.)
· Pajama pants, biker and boxer shorts
· Shorts, skirts, skorts, dresses, and jumpers which are higher than four inches from the top of the knee
· Shoes and/or clothes which may be damaging to school property or hazardous to other people
· Flip flops (elementary students only)
· Bare feet (except in secondary school locker rooms)
· Sandals in gym classes and technology education (secondary schools) or in other classes on specific days designated by the administration.
· Sleeveless tops and dresses are acceptable. A sleeveless top is defined as a shirt that covers the entire shoulder.
· Hats must be removed upon entering the building.
· For safety reasons, open back or open toe shoes are strongly discouraged.
If you have any questions, please contact me via email or phone.